Alyx 5k+ serial 202 - gray as hell (backlight)

Hi everybody,

I’m backer 3xxx and finally tried Alyx for three days now (nvidia 1080 and old i7 3770). So with latest pitool/firmware my 5K+ (serial start 202xxx) is gray as hell. Well how hell is gray. To be honest my old Vive (1) is pitch black (yes, old vive is pitch black :slight_smile: in Alyx compare to pimax. I tried up to -5 brightness and up to +3 contrast, but the result … i can’t see anything in dark parts or it’s ‘more’ gray.

So i roll back to pitool 197 and it’s firmware. Oh, the distortion profile is so much worse (normal fov), the sides of the panel is grey again (masked fov), but i can adjust BACKLIGHT to LOW, brightness to -3, contrast to +2 and … well the Vive is still better, how much, well a lot and i have to chose to play in black/contrast (vive) or grey+fov (pimax).

Even backlight set to LOW isn’t low enaught and i would like to try even lower settings…

Of course the famous pimax headstrap with lenses frame on nose is… well … disaster.

Any idea what i should try?

Regards Vaclav

Vive is a OLED display, you will never get that black on a LCD display.

4 Likes

I forget that, that probably explain pimax 197 vs vive 1, but 197 vs 255. Does anyone know why backlight settings is gone?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.