A new Pimax.com!

Did/are they going to release a new one, I way outta the loop?

Yup, the XTAL 3. Vrgineers are currently quoting a 3 month lead time due to supplier constraints; @Djonko has a unit currently being shipped to him, so we should get some 1st impressions asap.

Did it arrive? Very keen to hear about it!

Nah it’s already since monday in customs, there’s a problem, it will probably be monday/tuesday …

Front page → 8KX → Tech Specs → Audio is listed as only “3.5mm audio jack (integrated microphone)” for both the KDMAS and DMAS models. This makes it sound like neither version of the 8KX has integrated headphones, just the 3.5mm audio jack like a Varjo Aero.

That’s especially odd considering the different kinds of integrated headphones are the (from the consumer point of view) main difference between the listed “KDMAS” and “DMAS” versions of the headset. The tech specs list something called an “8KX KDMAS” and an “8KX DMAS”, but the only difference between them according to the tech specs is the KDMAS version has more screen refresh rates.

A new customer will be totally confused here. The main page for the 8KX pictures a DMAS doesn’t name it and makes no mention there being two different versions of the 8KX. And that’s probably for the best except the Tech Specs doesn’t clear up anything about that either. Both models appear to be effectively the same with neither having built in headphones.

Pimax really needs to go through the website looking at it from the standpoint of someone who has never even heard of Pimax before and is now learning about Pimax products for the first time. There’s a general problem throughout the website of expecting the customer to be aware of the history of Pimax development. The customer has no idea about KDMAS vs DMAS. Or “USB models” vs “Adapter models”. Etc etc. If you’re going to mention these terms, you have to define what they mean for someone new.

Yeah, that should only say that when the launch has happened, either for the Crystal QLED or 12K QLED! Just a tiny bit early!

Front page → 8KX → Compatibility

“Minimum requirement of 75Hz: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 1070
Minimum requirement of 90Hz: NVIDIAÂŽ GeForce RTX 2060
Minimum requirement: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX 1060 or AMD Radeon™ RX 5600XT
Recommended graphic card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon™ RX 6700XT
Recommended graphic card of the laptop: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX 2070”

This is a completely confusing jumble which appears to be inaccurate as far as I know from what’s been said in the forums.

First of all, there is no such thing as a “GeForce RTX 1060”. I think you meant “GeForce GTX 1060”.

These requirements indicate that an 8KX DMAS can be run on AMD GPUs, which is not true to my knowledge.

These requirements indicate that an 8KX KDMAS is supported on laptops, which I think Pimax has said isn’t true on the forums. Or possibly that was only in relation to 90Hz mode. I don’t think it’s been mentioned whether the new 8KX DMAS version actually supports laptops.

In any case, the jumble above is totally confusing and misleading.

Also, the “USB Ports” section says:

“1x USB 3.0** or newer
1x USB 2.0 with power supply
** USB 3.0 is also known as USB 3.2 Gen2”

That last part is bizarre.

I’d suggest instead:

“1x USB 3.0 or newer (USB 3.2 Gen2)
1x USB 2.0 or newer (used for additional power only, no data)”

1 Like

Why the hell Pimax is creating a new empty “Community”, while we were all directed and grouped here in the past?
They should have put a link to openmr for “Community” instead. This move feels so offensive, like getting an underbelly punch. :angry:

So they can fully control the moderation.

2 Likes

They don’t control the moderation here?

I’m assuming it’s nothing so nefarious, I would imagine it’s just that this community is much more general than just pimax so they want something specifically Pimax focused, maybe something more focused on being a community driven help center.

Personally I think they should just use openMR. I’m fine with it if they want to rebrand it somewhat or restructure it (it’s made and hosted by Pimax, right? Or am I mistaken?)

Just post newbie help stuff there :slight_smile:

Plenty to copy paste from here but I feel like a wiki would be better suited.

2 Likes

I have wondered what exactly is the connection and history between OpenMR forums and Pimax. Originally I thought that these were Pimax’s forums. But it doesn’t seem so. Especially since Heliosurge seems to be an admin here and seems openly hostile toward Pimax at times in a manner you’d only expect from an outsider to the company.

Presumably there is also likely to be (EDIT: …automatically selected…) separate forums for the sinosphere, and the rest of the world.

As far as I recall, this was supposed to be an independent, open forum, which was part of the reason for moving to OpenMR at the time because there were a number of say, incidents on the old forum where posts suddenly disappeared, and critical users were banned for a month or so. Not that we haven’t seen some shenanigans over here too… but okay, every company can have a bad apple in their ranks who does things which jeopardize the reputation of the company when they seem to believe they are acting in the best interest of the company.

Interesting point of view. He has probably been the most loyal supporter of Pimax through all the years, but one should perhaps allow him to once in a while make an observation which doesn’t focus solely on promoting Pimax as if he was paid to do so. The next time he appears hostile to you, perhaps send him a DM and inquire about the background rather than just simply buy the company PR without hesitation. Company PR by definition is not supposed to be fair & balanced, but let the company appear in the best colors - you don’t believe all the ads you see on TV, do you, so why would you believe a company’s PR, which is following pretty much the same rules.

3 Likes

The Xtal thread is closed, so couldn’t message there about it. Did it arrive yet? If so please make a new thread about the Xtal so we can continue discussing it there. The 30 day automatic locking on this forum is kind of annoying, I wanted to post about Arpara but that’s locked also so never bothered. Doesn’t seem worthwhile to have a locking time at all, I guess like 6 months makes sense.

@SmallBaguette
Hi here, do you mean this thread? I just opened it.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/new-xtal-discussion-thread-for-2021-2022/37557/160

1 Like

Thank you! ^^

The website will be updated with relevant information on the 12kQLED and Crystal when the launches are ready. Our existing website had a lot of usability flaws and grammatical errors that we wanted to fix as soon as possible. Don’t worry though, we will keep the website up to date with new information as the main office allows.

1 Like

Info pages that aren’t opening and showing more information are just a minor error. Those will be populated as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.