8kX screens same as 8k+

Just wondering if the 8kX has the same screens as the 8k+

Yes, 8KX and 8K+ uses identical 4K panels. Although, when running them in native mode, they feel like totally different panels :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi SweViver

What are the panels native refresh rate (manufacturers specifications) ?

br.
/MrAhlefeld

2 Likes

Hi MrAhlefeld, its 75Hz according to the specs. As far as I have heard, its the same panels as XTAL 8K is using.

9 Likes

That’s surprising. Doesn’t that mean it will never be possible to go higher?

2 Likes

75Hz ? the panels ??
im taliking specificallty only about the panel hardware :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you try 120 hz dual mode ? is it confirmed?

Most panels can be overclocked without any issues and same life length. Only problem is the bandwidth for data transfer, wheres DP1.4 is the limit

3 Likes

Not 120Hz as far as I know. We are experimenting higher refreshrates yes, including dual cable solutions, but Im not allowed to share any details as of now. Either way, this might be something for the future and not the current model.

8 Likes

so the 8kx will have the same colors and contrast as the 8kplus?

I think he ment enabling the upscaler mode.

Ohh, upscler? Yes that supports 120Hz, but thats another story, as only 2560x1440p signal is sent in upscale more. Im talking about native mode here.

7 Likes

But if using the upscaler in 120Hz mode I would think that it would also display in 120Hz? Why would I want to use the headset in a 120Hz mode (upscaled) if it displays it in 4K/75Hz?

Then I would loose a lot of performance without any visual improvement compared to using the upscaler at 75Hz (1440p/75Hz upscaled to 4K/75Hz).

3 Likes

i am only speaking of 8K X upscaling mode

again did you try 120 hz ? is it confirmed ?

True.
If you upscale an image to 4K resolution from 2560x1440 in 120Hz
The panels need to run 4K in 120Hz to display the upscaled image in 120Hz
Or you would loose the frames displayed for the remaining 45Hz = 45fps

1 Like

Yes, you are right, the panels do support 90Hz and 120Hz in upscale mode. I assume its just about bandwidth limitation why we are currently using 75Hz.

Im currently testing a beta version firmware yes

4 Likes

That’s why I initially asked for the panels native specifications :wink: not the HMD’s :grin:

3 Likes

If they are the same panels why can 8kX do 120hz and 8k+ only 110hz?

1 Like

I’d assume that’s because of different chipsets on the PCB.

3 Likes

Different PCB on 8K+ and 8KX. The main chipset plays a big role here.

8 Likes