8kx i love it, image quality is like looking on a monitor in VR

That will be because you have smart smoothing enabled.

5 Likes

Awesome, congrats. Did you back the KS?

@delevero Did you get both thin and thick foam? The distance from eyes to lenses affects the IPD due to the canted displays.

Also, in DCS World, you may get better performance at similar visual quality, by reducing Render Quality to 1.25, setting Pixel Density in DCS World to 1.2, and setting SteamVR video resolution to about 2700v, for what I refer to as a TotalSR of about 1.5.

5 Likes

And Update to my original review ( there is not Edit button i could not change my review. )
After spending more time with the 8kx i like to add.

Negative…: I have the 8kx version with the standard earphones. To be honest i think the frame with the earphones its pure junk. They do not touch my ears, and i cant lower the frame further down to make them touch my ears.
Dont get me wrong its nice they are build in, however when i put on the headset the earphones are 5-7cm above my ear and 2cm from my skull ;-( And if i dont use them and put on my normal headphones then the frame part where the earphones are build in almost block the option to wear my external headphones.
I think if you use standard Earcups that are not so big you can use an external headset… But if you use example a wireless headset from ROG with big earcups there is a risk you wont be able to wear them.

To be honest it feel a bit like they dident think about that when the headset was designed, it would have been better if they made a version without earphones vs standard earphones. OR you could remove the standard build in ear phones.
Also the the rear of the headset where you tighten it firmly to your skull should be lower… In my case its sitting in the top-rear of my skull but it would have been better if it sit on my rear middle skull.

All in all i really cant recommend the Frame system and standard earphone version, i am truly dissapoined that the build in earphones are 5-7cm above my ears it just look and feel stupid and like a prooduction error or terrible design. Also these earphones cannot be removed so the frame become flat so i could use external earphones instead. ( look image )

10 Likes

There is an issue with some hinges, they do not go low enough. You can open a support ticket and request a plastic hinge part to replace your metal one. If you search the forum you will find more details.

4 Likes

request for free from Pimax, but need to wait: https://community.openmr.ai/t/we-can-replace-the-metal-hinge-in-8kx-for-free-if-you-have-the-needs/30680/68

if you have 3d printer, you can print yourself: Pimax 8kX SMAS Hinge by pruban - Thingiverse

more info https://community.openmr.ai/t/8k-x-modular-audio-strap-mas-is-ergonomically-horrible-can-we-diy-fix-it/30609/418

6 Likes

Thanks for the update! This looks like a serious design problem. How on earth did this make it past the engineers and QA? It makes me wonder if the metal brackets are installed correctly. Perhaps the left and right sides are swapped?

4 Likes

The above ear speakers are not meant to touch your ears, they’re supposed to be above your ears almost like you show on your picture. that said, please check sound levels and settings in windows the current build of windows makes the sound in those above ear speakers very low. I know they can be loud enough to almost hurt with the right windows settings.

the frame does not go down far enough to be comfortable with the metal hinges so please request a set of the plastic hinges. there’s a topic around regarding that.

5 Likes

the metal hinges is just bad, swapping sides makes them worse.

3 Likes

Yes, the speakers should be above your ears, but in that picture, the speakers are way too far above the ears, based on previous images I’ve seen.

2 Likes

They can be removed. Just lift the inner black foam and remove the one central screw.

Also make sure the bass boost and loudness options are ticked on in the usb sound properties

2 Likes

We’ve seen people using ordinary headphones with the strap, they just need to be placed leaning to the rear of the strap. and it was not with the metal hinges.

2 Likes

Pimax should just send replacement hinge pieces out for their massive error.
Why should we all have to open tickets for these replacement pieces?
It’s like they will drag the pimax company name through the dirt, over & over again & burn bridges with customers, all for a few $$$

4 Likes

Yep. Also most people aren’t even aware that the hinges are defective and will go on thinking its just a badly designed headset.

1 Like

And write bad reviews about the 8kx & air their grievances across social media’s.
Even the die hard pimax fans & apologists are going to struggle with excuses for that.
Absolutely crazy business practice

2 Likes

When I saw the first photo of 8kx and audiostrap I thinks there will be bad audio because of the distance, and problem too with personal phones (example the big asus 7.1)… so I bought the deluxe audio but I’m sure when arrive I will remove the standard.

what abut the hinge? metal plastic ? have enouth rotate?

I agree they should simply mail replacement hinges to every single customer, leading with an email that they are on the way.

5 Likes