8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

I realy hope they can make the orginal metal hinges but then with the right angle…Because the metal ones are more premium quality… @PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra

4 Likes

I agree. We are looking into updating the hinge design.

9 Likes

This is good news. I’ve also got the plastic hinges but haven’t been able to force them down. Any more force and I’m worried I’ll break something important

3 Likes

Well forcing them beyond the stops is no real fix. Whether you can do it or not.

6 Likes

Although it is what was stated in one of the weekly updates regarding how to wear the headset.

2 Likes

SO5311 I would like the replacement hinge. It won’t go low enough on the back of my head to keep it from wanting to fall off.

2 Likes

After this long wait for a replacement 8K X cable and hinges. Its finally coming today. Woohoo

2 Likes

It came. See below

The plastic can bend so even though it seems like the angle is similar, the plastic bends and thereby causes the further angle.

Also the prong itself is different

1 Like

So I assume this solved your problem with the SMAS strap not going far enough down?

1 Like

Im still not using the SMAS because I’m using the Vive DAS. I wont bother with the SMAS sound… I’m waiting on the deluxe headphones.

In regards to “solving” the issue of the angle - its only just slightly better and the only way to really get it lower is to push the hinge past the stopper, which could eventually wear it away/break it.

It’s not the optimal fix, but I guess it’ll do… I wish they just made it right the first time instead of beta testing this stuff on backers and pre-orders.

4 Likes

so they still didnt fix it??

2 Likes

Gordonau

Octofox

19d

I received my 8KX 2 days ago and although I was thoroughly disappointed in several aspects, I have decided to persevere and hopefully some of the items currently in the mill will improve the performance as it did with the 5K+ which I have been very happy with.
In regard to the hinges, I have modified the plastic hinges fitted to my HMD by removing 1mm off two diametrically opposite lugs on both hinges. The original width was 8mm and now 7mm.
The photos show the total travel now with this mod. I used a Dremel but it could be done carefully with a sharp razor blade.

1 Reply

3 Likes

it was known 1-2 months ago that hinges have the same angles, just plastic one is more flexible + you can push it further stops if apply some force, so actually they didn’t fail with metal ones, well they failed but they did the same (almost identical thing) just property of materials & small prong difference did the problem

But i think the initial problem is that they chosen angle which is way beyond average Joe head shape so it doesn’t work good.

It won’t be a problem if not the stopps, but seems they tried to achieve tilting fixation & proper cheeks weight distribution which are good things, but with this design it seems it’s quite hard to cover different head shapes

2 Likes

This was my successful DIY fix from 3 weeks ago that is simple and able to be done by anybody with a sharp blade which simply extends the down travel without damage to the stops.
It is a no-brainer.

3 Likes

eveybody saw your fix, no need to post it every couple of days, their point is that they bought 1300$ device & don’t want to butcher it so they wait some official feedback & replacement parts etc. It’s clear that the fix is straight forward & can be fixed in a variety ways, but sometimes ppl have no time enough to do it, they wanny try hmd, play some time, if it doesn’t work they request fix & continue doing their business, that’s market, everybody has different context & needs & also for the next customers it will be beneficial if the origin design gets fixed & new orders come with ok comfort.

5 Likes

the problem of pimax is that you constantly need to do something to keep your HDM In ideal conditions, placement, tilting, IPD, lenses, eye relief, different face foams, now hinges.

and the biggest problem is lenses design & too big minimum inter lenses circles distance which makes HMD blur for majority of ppl & leads to all other kind of optical problems if you got bad luck

that’s like a sport car which you mod for pleasure & trying to push boundaries but sometimes it just gets annoying or for some ppl just doesn’t work at all.

4 Likes

Thank you but this post has not been posted every couple of days. I am happy for you to be critical but someone may be interested to try this fix when people are still talking about the problem.
Don’t trouble yourself as I will not post this again.

1 Like

im not against your double posting, just got feeling that you may miss the point of other customers coz you constantly tried to make point that it’s easy peasy fix, do it & be happy, when sometimes ppl just don’t want to care at all, so it doesn’t affect me, but I like to check thread I was part of :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I get that you can cut a bit off of it. In fact i may have considered doing that originally if they actually sent me plastic ones from the start, but Teigue is right. Making all these mods to a $1300 headset shouldnt be happening. They shouldve learned from the mistakes on the 5k+ and not added MORE issues.

6 Likes

well maybe its my english, it wasn’t call to action, it was more like you can, but does it make sense? or you can try to force ppl do it, but it’s not only a way ppl want to fix it, so just was captain obvious statement, I didn’t want to sound rude :wink:

1 Like