8K X Occasionally Blacks out for a few seconds (Potentially Solved, EMI Ground Loop/ Interference likely the cause)

I totally agree… :+1::wink:

2 Likes

Yes please update us. This shouldn’t happen with the flagship headset.

1 Like

More blackouts - with the original cable - 90hz also - happened almost right away.

Anyone here using overlay apps like OVRToolkit?

Not sure if it helps, but just wanted to provide some feedback where this does not occur
Sometimes it helps to pinpoint the problem if you know where it does not occur. (If its a general bug)
So if i should check something, just let me know.

• Mostly playing iRacing
  • pimax 8kx
  • RTX 3080 mobile
  • 60hz Mode (i dont see a difference above 60 anyways :slight_smile: )
  • Brightness around 80
  • Newest Nvidia Drivers
  • Using overlay for SimHub

I can try the 75hz just for making sure its not related to the hz.

2 Likes

So for you, you’ve gotten the blackouts EXCEPT when using 60hz mode… That might be the difference between my setup and yours. (i have a 3090 which is also different)

If you can test 75hz or 90hz, can you see if it happens for you?

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: iRacing / Discord issue

Just a heads up, i have received my 5k super. Im going to give the 8k x a little more time to try and find the cause of the blackouts but not much longer. Ive given the logs to support. It’s up to them now. If they cant figure it out, ill be forced to downgrade.

2 Likes

Another blackout at the end of a session. switching to 5k super until they figure it out. Ive sent all the logs possible.
@PimaxQuorra pleae have them look into those logs in my ticket

1 Like

Recently I bought an 8kx and fiber optic cable.
And I am having the same problem.
Sound doesnt drop out, the screen is blacked out for 5-7 seconds.
It’s happening in every situation.

My system is i7-9700, 3080, 32gb ram.
I am using a 21:9 qhd monitor using the dp port.

I’m not sure if it’s a bandwidth issue on the dp port, a power issue on the usb3, or a headset issue.

1 Like

Hey thanks for posting. Please create a support ticket so they know as well. It seems to be an nvidia only issue so far too

1 Like

Not sure if it helps but I had blackouts when using 90hz and the recommended nvidia drivers.
Since then, reverted to 75hz with current drivers and the blackouts are gone

My system:
Z370 i9 9900k RTX3090fe latest nvidia drivers latest pitool and bêta 90hz 8kx firmware

1 Like

I tried that - i have blackouts on 75hz as well - less than 90hz (USUALLY), but they still happen.

Also 9900KS, 3090 (FE and EVGA models i tried)… latest pitool and firmware.

1 Like

Although i thought the same thing as you… Since the blackouts are slightly less often on 75hz - it’s probably an issue with the bandwith limitation of DP or something similar…

Keep in mind i’ve had it for like 7-8 months now, and the blackouts weren’t present during the first 3 months approximately. Something definitely changed since.

1 Like

It would be interesting if we could figure out what the trigger / difference is between those that have blackouts and those that have rare to none. My assumption is that its a setting or heat but i can’t say for sure.

I had 3 or 4 blacks outs a couple months ago. They were spread out over a month or two. After that nothing. I can’t remember making any changes specific to VR. but i wasnt keeping record. But since then i haven’t experienced one.

Has anyone seen anything in the logs pointing to a cause?

2 Likes

I sent all my logs to pimax support but they’re off until may 6

2 Likes

have created one now - number 15514

1 Like

they answered me yesterday and said a senior tech is going thru the logs to see the issue. Thats last i heard.
But we do need more people to submit tickets and provide them with logs and more info so they can find the problem.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

I was searching for such an issue right now:

I experienced exactly what you described yesterday once and today twice (at least that I can remember exactly):

While in-game, just the 8K-X screen blacks out for 2-3, maybe up to 5 seconds, so I first feared the game was frozen. But just as you said: The game is running fine, I have sound and music, and I am even able to crash my truck while seeing nothing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The last time, this happened one hour and a half ago, at the beginning of an evening session of ETS2. 2-3 seconds, music kept playing, I instantly pressed ESC - and when the screen came back, I was in the game’s menu and was able to continue playing for another hour without any issues.

So, from my side, too, you’re not alone.

Though my issue might go a little deeper, if ever this is related:

I’ve built my new computer (board, CPU, RAM and GPU) in last December, and including today, I already had three times WIndows boot hang / blue error screen just before the login screen.
First time in January, I asked in a German forum, nobody was able to help, I didn’t bother too much.
Second time was two weeks ago, I once again asked for help, this time, it was mentioned it could be my RAM overclocked to 3800 MHz. But I remained sceptical since I was able to work and play everything without any freeze, CTD, BSOD, or the like.
The third time was this evening, a couple of minutes before playing: I started my computer, and once again blue screen and auto restart. While Windows was collecting crash data, I unplugged wheel and pedals, and Windows startet well in that second attempt.

But - and now it comes:
The 8K-X LED is always connected to the PC, too; i never unplug it. So, normally, the headset’s LED instantly glows dim red after Windows boot / desktop reached - but this time, it was dark. No light at all.

I switched on the power plug via its USB wall adapter - still no light.
I started PiTool, tried a reboot - no reaction, no LED.
I unplugged the 8K-X - Windows sound USB unplugged. Okay.
I re-plugged the 8K-X - and Windows mentioned, that USB device could not be recognized and installed properly.
I unplugged and re-plugged to another USB-port - same result - USB device was not recognized and installed properly.

I unplugged the 8K-X once again and did a Windows restart.
Windows did a flawless boot.
I plugged the 8K-X to its former USB-port - and this time, it was recognized, LED lit up dim red, and I was able to play.

I checked the reliability monitor:

=> and the times shown exactly fit first the blue screen with restart and second the failed detection of the 8K-X.

Therefore, I don’t think it’s my wheel or pedals any more responsible for the blue screens, since it now was the headset which didn’t start right away as usual.

And, as described at the beginning, I then had those 2-3/5 seconds of blackout after perhaps 5 minutes or so.

Could be pure coincidence - but… I doubt it.

In the end, it’s not the first time, my 8K-X creates some USB / hardware error trouble: I already had them in autumn last year before upgrading my computer with my former board, CPU, RAM and GPU - so, when also considering other stories here on the forum, from you, as well as about other VR headset manufacturers (i.e. G2), I come to the conclusion that both, current high-end headsets as well as mainboards / their USB hubs aren’t 100% completely made to work with each other yet…

Or it’s the sheer amount of USB devices attached at the same time while booting:
Keyboard, mouse, joystick, wheel, pedals, headset… though the headset certainly draws most of the power…

For the upcoming time, I will swallow the bitter pill and unplug the 8K-X before booting my PC in order to see whether this solves the sporadic blue screen issue.

But concerning those black-outs… I don’t know… as @pecra mentioned, if it’s only happening once a day or even (much) less (at least for me until now/yesterday), I will learn to deal with it.

All that I can say is, that it is not tracking-related - if the headset looses connection to the basestation (when I move to close to it or accidentially block the sensors with my hands), the screen takes 1-2 seconds to dim out. And it takes a second or so to come back as soon as it is re-connected.
But this “new” black-out happens instantly, the same when showing image again => instantly. No dim out, no “dim” on.

Hopefully, all this isn’t a sign the 8K-X is going to “say goodbye” within the next days, weeks or months… would be really very very annoying especially regarding its price…

1 Like

You seem to have multiple issues aside from the 8k x blackouts… I do suggest you start a support ticket with pimax. They need to know what’s happening with these blackouts and your other issues. They need to know the issue is more widespread than they think.

I also have my headset always connected to my PC but i changed my Bios settings to completely power off all power to the usb ports when i turn off windows… I did that because the light would still be lit red when the pc was off meaning it was still getting power. Originally when i first got the 8k x i noticed the top of the headset, right above where the cable was going into the hmd, it was feeling warm/hot to the touch, so i figured it wasnt good to always have it plugged in. But i got annoyed unplugging it after every time i powered off the pc, so i just found a work around by turning off the power to the usb ports in the bios.

Other than that, i suggest you give pimax support all of the info you can… Ive been waiting 1 week+ for an answer to the logs i sent them and i just wrote @PimaxQuorra this morning as well to try and get some kind of response from them. Ive recorded all the logs i could. If they can’t figure out what’s causing the blackouts, i will be getting rid of the 8k x and sticking with the 5k Super (which is a very decent headset itself too).

2 Likes

I think these blackouts are becoming a bigger issue the longer headsets are used. I too had absolutely no issues initially now I can expect a blackout once a day.

It’s disappointing such a high value headset has such a major flaw.

2 Likes