8K-X and RTX 4080: Slight movement of image first, when moving the head

We already know it doesn’t work with the revised 8kx or any future headsets, pimax have confirmed it a few times.

I haven’t a revised one, mine is first batch from Nov/Dec '20.

Then you’ll be fine with it but unable to upgrade afaik.

I don’t think we know that either model of 8KX will work with a 7900 XTX. The earlier model 8KX does work with AMD, but whether or not there are compatibility problems with the new AMD GPUs and whether Pimax will address any such problems that appear is not a known quantity.

Okay, thanks for that hint :+1:t3:

But since I didn’t follow that issue, just shortly:
What has been changed here that AMD GPU’s don’t work with Pimax headsets any more? And as far as I’ve been able to understand, with some other headsets neither.

I know that VR still is a niche - but I wasn’t aware of how much it is still a niche…! :dizzy_face:

Well, I don’t even know whether upgrading my HMD to a 12K would make sense for VR-simulation anyway:
Afaik, the 4090 is the only GPU so far which is able to maintain stable 75 FPS “everywhere” or perhaps even 90 FPS in some simulations for the 8K-X.

=> So: Why should I buy a 12K for appr. 2.000€ +/- if there won’t be any GPU out there for the next upcoming years which is able to fully “fuel” it…?
And: Even if there was such a GPU, I’d probably first use the additional headroom for SuperSampling on the 8K-X :wink:

Not, that I would not want to have a 12K :smiley: :heart_eyes:

But I think at least GPU’s are still much too weak to fully benefit from its advantages over my “old” 8K-X. Unfortunately :disappointed_relieved:

Well I think we are able to downsample the rendering in the worst case with a 4090 and still get a much better picture than the 8KX.

1 Like
  • 6K panels will produce better display quality than 4K panels at the same rendering resolution. It’s like oversampling that you get all the time without a GPU performance hit.
  • The 12K has eye tracking and foveated rendering which are integral to its design. This reduces the load on the GPU by ~40% without perceived reduction in display quality.
  • Better lenses will improve the display quality over the 8KX without any increase in GPU load.

The result of all of this is that the 12K converts GPU umph into display quality with substantially higher efficiency than the 8KX. For any given GPU and game, the 12K will look substantially better at the same frame rate.

Whether or not the GPU can “max out” the VR headset is actually kind of immaterial. It’s like saying “These high performance tires are rated for 200mph, but my sportscar can only reach 140mph at most. So they’re a waste to buy!” Except that those tires are providing increased grip at all speeds which is the actual point.

Keep in mind that those 6k are spread out over a larger FOV than the 4k, so higher effective resolution is not a guarantee…

It is 1.5 times the resolution (6k/4k), and 1.33 times the claimed per-eye FOV (160-ish/120-ish, maximums), which is still a larger number for the former part than the latter, but one need to take into account that the wider the FOV is, the more pixels are typically wasted out in the periphery, where the tangent of the angle avalanches.

This concern may very well not be an issue – it is all down to how the HMD optics warp the image; Hopefully the new lenses do a really good job at concentrating display pixels to the front, and tapering the resolution off toward the edges.

haha i dont recommend that as Pimax doesnt support AMD.

Sounds a bit the same as with my upgrade from the 5K+ to the 8K-X:

The 8K-X can also be set to upsampling mode from 5K+ resolution level - but even though the panels are 2x 4K and not 2x 2.5k, the image quality is quite blurry and inferior to native 8K-X. Not very surprisingly, I think.

In upsampling mode, I have to increase SS to at least 140% in order to get an image quality almost as sharp as with native 2x 4K resolution…

Means:
The 12K having 2x 6K panels, but being used in upsampling mode instead of native doesn’t necessarily make it automatically better than a 8K-X.

When I switched from my old 5K+ @140% SS to the 8K-X @100% SS, it did cost almost the same GPU performance.

=> So, switching from a 8K-X to a 12K at the same GPU level probably leads to almost the same quality image imho.
Or in other words: In order to really increase image sharpness and quality to 12K level, you have to use it with native 2x 6K resolution - which probably would be the same as increasing SS on the 8K-X to a certain level.

But as mentioned, current GPU performances aren’t yet able to provide stable 75 or 90 FPS without SS for every game / VR-sim!
=> So fueling the 12K until getting a real image quality boost compared to the 8K-X will certainly take a couple of years still.

If I’d win in the lottery, I’d take the 12K on release day for the given price :+1:t3: :sunglasses: :partying_face:
But without really profitting by the 6K panels, I think my money meanwhile is better saved for upcoming CPU and GPU generations.

Don’t misunderstand:
I’m Pimax fan since 4K times.
But once again, Pimax is ahead of times as they were with the 8K(-X) at the time being. And with the 12K, I fear even more, unfortunately… :neutral_face:

Not talking about NVidia and AMD apparently not really taking into account VR any more as it has been the case a couple of years ago…

:slight_smile:

Hmm, if it doesn’t work, I’ll return it.
Just as I did with the 4080, not at least because of the current lag bug not being resolved yet.
I don’t pay such prices without getting almost perfect and 99% error-free quality.

So: I’ll try, I’ll see, I’ll report here, and I’ll make my decision :slight_smile:

The only thought which troubles me a bit is the change from NVidia drivers to AMD drivers and once again back perhaps, if the performance of the 7900 XTX would not be satisfying enough or if it would not work at all - I hope this won’t mess up any Windows registry and driver settings or the like… :neutral_face: :pray:t3:

The 12k is at least 1 year away, likely more. In the meantime the 4090 hans given my 8KX new life and it has never looked better :smiley:

I wouldnt wait on the 5090 series. You have to wait a year to buy that from when the 12k is released.

The upscaling mode on the 8KX stinks, and it shouldn’t be used as the basis for comparison. That implementation underperforms what upscaling should be able to do.

If you render at 2.5K in native mode, the result looks much better than rendering at the same 2.5K in upscaling mode. In both cases, upscaling to 4K is being performed, but in the former case it is being performed by the GPU, while in the latter case it is being performed by the 8KX onboard. And it’s the 8KX’s onboard scaling that stinks,

In the case of the 12K, the upscaling will be performed by the GPU. So the better quality can be expected.

For a more valid preview of what to expect from the 12K, you should compare your 5K+ with your 8KX in native mode with both of them running 2.5K rendering resolution in SteamVR. I’ve made this A-B comparison myself between he 5K Super and the 8KX, and the 8KX does look much better at the same 2.5K rendering resolution.

hmm i’m not so sure. i think the 12K will be released 2024, 5090’s will be released in that year too.

4090 september 2024 earliest. We shall see… 12k probably 24 yes.

The grass always seems greener on the other side. (funny in this case, how do you get more green than nVidia? you can’t :sweat_smile: )

Pimax really stretching out that release date hoping that we forget about the trade-in program , or our 8kx’s fall into disrepair so they no longer qualify lol.

Seriously though, the longer they stretch it out the more trade ins they potentially have to honor.

start started as an unprecedented neat gesture and marketing gimmick could end up becoming a financial fiasco.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.