8k+ won't connect until computer is restarted

So, pimax engineer connected to my pc over teamviewer, tried to flash a new firmware and update base station watchmen. They also copied logs and now sent me an email that the issue seems to be in a cable. They’ll ship me a replacement and I’ll see if I can hook my 5k xr’s cable to 8k+ to see if the issue goes away too when I have time.

Watching this thread as I have same issue with 8K+ and a reboot is only solution…

I’m still waiting for a tracking number for a new cable, but it may take a while. I tried unplugging my 5k xr, and the fit was so tight, I was afraid to damage something. 8k+ cable went off way easier when I tried to disconnect it, but I had troubles getting it back in.
Don’t want to risk my 5kxr with it and will wait for a cable. Will update when it will come and tests will be done.
@telly-addict try contacting pimax support too. Maybe they’ll be able to do something different about your hmd.

1 Like

So, I decided to give it another try and was actually able to get cable out of 5k xr.
Connected it to 8k+ - same behavior, doesn’t recognize after soft reboot of hmd.
5k xr works with 8k+'s cable properly. It’s not the cable.

1 Like

They told me that since it’s not the cable, they’re suggesting an RMA, but I’m unlikely to go for it since it would have me to pay 200 usd import tax once again, and also shipping costs. I’ve RMAd index controllers when they arrived, and am not fond of doing yet another RMA of headset which for the most part works fine except PC has to be restarted and it sometimes bugs out in No Man’s Sky when left eye turns off and then the right eye turns off and game crashes (didn’t happen for me on 5k xr ever).

Just a small message to remember how it went. I gave up the headset to local Pimax reps, and they flashed V2.1.255.262 firmware, then claimed that it works fine and returned it to me. It now can’t see the base stations and isn’t recognizable by steamvr. I enabled 9 axis tracking, then lighthouses. Then I rastarted hmd and service, and got 10500 error again. Such a shame…

Upon updating firmware with pitool I got this:
But upon another reboot it showed as the latest one:

One more thing I should have tried earlier, but only recently I got display port extension cords - I connected headset to another computer and it works and restarts flawlessly for more than 10 times already. It seems like my OS installation is the issue here. I guess it’s time to reinstall windows. :frowning:

1 Like

This is retarded, and I got a “fix”.

TLDR - some USB ports work well with both 5k xr and 8k+, while others only work with 5k xr and won’t properly work with 8k+.

I reinstalled windows at last, after verifying that HMD can boot on another computer just fine multiple times, made sure I installed latest Nvidia drivers and all is fine, then I installed pitool, and observed similar results - HMD stopped working after restart.
I went to bios to see if there are any USB options to tune, toyed with some, but it didn’t help. Then I thought - I have a separate USB controller on my RTX 2080, let’s try it. And like magic - it worked. FUСК. MY. TIME.
So I experimented with other USB ports - none of my front panel ports (2x usb3, 4x usb2) worked. Got out a usb2 extension cord from my wires box, and tested 2 ports on back pannel (not type c from videocard this time). And the second one worked. So apparently it’s a USB thing. I just wonder what causes this incompatibility while 5kxr works like a charm and 8k+ works like an аss.
I’m surprised that support didn’t recommend trying other USB ports (more than 1, being more persistent).

I am rolling back to my previous Windows installation. I hope it will work on it properly, or I will be very pissed that I erased a freshly installed Windows at which Pitool didn’t also jump around while I try to drag it.

Update: Rolled to previous Windows version and it looks like it works with a different USB port now. >_<

1 Like

Even if I use a usb pci card my headsets (8k, Artisan or 8k+) are not detected if I have too much usb devices plugged in (on the motherboard) like wheel and hotas.
If I unplug some I just have to restart pitool (service) and it get detected right away.

1 Like

Thanks for comment. Might help someone too.

Having usb 2.0 problems in 2020 smh

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.