8k Users you have to try this for Elite Dangerous!

Actually, after the clarification with @neal_white_iii about whether in-game SS are stacked, I would say that the equivalent settings to yours should be:

in-game SS settings gets stacked:
0.3*X*Y @ (ED HMD 4.0) -> 0.3*(4.0*X)*(4.0*Y) = 4.8*X*Y

I.e. leaving everything at 1.0 (PiTool, SteamVR, in-game) except SteamVR manual override set to 480%. I have however already some doubts that this will render at playable FPS at this setting, so something else is probably not working as expected.

yeah something must be wrong i think with ed it self, as it is the only game with this weird settings on my system. And neils system wich is comparable to mine couldnā€™t handle the crazy high ingame SS.

So, if one setā€™s PiTool at 1, SteamVR App setting at 100% and SteamVR Video Setting at 30% - you are telling us that Steam will give us a render target Vertical of 2160? Horizontal target varying based on FOV requested in PiToolā€¦

I see a SteamVR Render Target based on your settings of 2428 x 2138 at Normal FOV.

This is not the same as PiTool 1.75 SteamVR Vid of 20% and SteamVR App of 50% which gives 2453 x 2160 at Normal FOV

It is a small difference but which of those 2 settings Render Target Resolution corresponds to the native Per Eye Resolution of the 8K screens?

Then sprinkle in some Alaising or is this not an issue here and not something we are trying to deal with in getting a clear image. As to how SteamVR effects Elite Dangerous and corresponding settings, well looks like we are adding additional SS over native res ingame rather than having SteamVR do it.

With no ingame SS - the equivalent SteamVR Settings would be bumping App to 200%

or am I missing something here?

How did you come to this conclusion? I never mentioned any particular resolution.

1 Like

you mentioned the settings being the sameā€¦

can anyone point me in right direction as to what controlls i dont need to play this as i would like to map buttons to hotas but theres so many i keep doubling up

1 Like

Welcome to the downside of Elite Dangerous! :laughing:

Control binding is a pain. Conservatively, Iā€™ve spent at least 4 hours over the last few years, developing good bindings (and re-entering them when they get ā€œlostā€). Itā€™s a good idea to keep a backup of your key bindings, since ED will throw them away in certain instances (like installing a new joystick). They are stored in C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

There are a bunch of preconfigured bindings in C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ControlSchemes .

Be sure to write your custom bindings down, so you can look up seldom-used commands. I made a diagram of my joystick & throttle, so I can list the commands next to the button(s) to keep track of my commands. (This is especially important for when you reassign commands, which you are likely to do, because Frontier Development keeps adding new commands.) I just print out a blank diagram, as needed.

As to what controls you ā€œdonā€™t needā€, that depends on your play style. If you donā€™t play together with others, you can ignore the ā€œWingā€ commands. If you donā€™t land on planets, you can skip the SRV driving commands. If you donā€™t share screen shots, you can skip all the camera commands. There are a bunch of bindings for exploration at the end, which you can skip if you donā€™t do exploration. Iā€™ve omitted almost all of the ā€œset throttleā€ key bindings (except for ā€œfull stopā€).

One suggestion is to add bindings as needed. (I only recently hooked up my camera controls.) My joystick only has 16 buttons, so I use 2 keys at once for a lot of my commands.

Consider getting VoiceAttack and an HCS VoicePack, so that you can trigger non-time-critical commands without needing to use buttons (but you still need key bindings for the voice command to function). I use it for stuff like ā€œraise landing gearā€, ā€œrequest dockingā€, or ā€œdeploy cargo scoopā€. https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

Will someone please remind me as to why I keep playing this annoying game? :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah i recently started playing & found all this out. Now ive got the hang of it, its pretty quick to assign a new command.
I do have a thrustmaster 16000 though so ive got just enough buttons.
Voice attack does help but that thing was a pain in the arse to set up.
They also dont tell you that you will have to set all your secondary keybindings to your keyboard yourself to get it to work too.
Pretty awesome having the voice of holly of of red dwarf though.
Good advice on backing up controls.
I havent done this yet so i better do it next time im on.
Losing them all would be pretty annoying

1 Like

cheers guys some good advice for sure ,i think i may have to put some time aside to sort out some starting tactic

1 Like

X52 pro, more keys/buttons that you will ever need, and can set 3 profiles for all buttons.
One of the best thing I have ever got, especially for Elite.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve certainly considered getting a X52, but Iā€™d hate to have to relearn all my button commands. At this point, I think Iā€™ll stick to my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, which works fine with ED, as long as youā€™re willing to use 2-button combos. I particularly like the feel of the joystick itself.

I used to use that, but I found it too loose and inaccurate for fixed weapons.
Also it doesnā€™t have a thumbstick for strafing.
Currently using an x56, which could be better in some ways, but itā€™s very accurate and my fixed weapon accuracy is pretty great now.

Iā€™m glad you found a HOTAS that you like.

The last time I did any combat in ED was over a year ago. Iā€™m primarily an explorer. The only thing I wish my joystick had is another analog control for up/down thrusters, to help me land on high-gravity planets. The pain level in learning a new joystick is high enough that I have no interest in switching devices.

1 Like

Think you might be overestimating the difficulty of changing hotas. Took me a day.
But anyway, as a dedicated explorer, yeah you donā€™t really need anything else.
I do a bit of everything in EDā€¦ Tbh, Iā€™ve pretty much experienced every type of thing in the game.
I havenā€™t played in a few months now. I hope when I get my 8k, it can breathe some new life into it for me.
Otherwise, I have SC with VorpX.

Someone on twitch tv (malic_vr) mentioned something regarding settings for the ā€˜viveā€™ regarding steam vr settings for elite and disabling ā€˜use desktop game theatre when launching desktop games while steam vr is activeā€™ in order to improve clarity of text.

Can I ask someone else to test this, it seemed to have ā€˜someā€™ effect, but Iā€™m not sure.

Guys, a somewhat related question for you: occasionally during regular gameplay, and once every hyper jump, SteamVR will appear instead of the Elite cockpit view, with this empty SteamVR space with the floating game tile. It only lasts for half a second or so, but itā€˜s quite an immersion killer - any advice on how to get rid off this sh*t??

I have this issue ever since lightning patch, freeze for half a second in about every 30 secs, mostly on planetary surfaces (but not on SRV training mission, only in main play). Really annoying, makes exploration unplayable. I had it on Pimax 4k too so itā€™s probably game related.

1 Like

Are you running the beta SteamVR perchance?

I donā€™t see the SteamVR room under those circumstances, but I do see a smallish SteamVR popup which (I believe) indicates that an image frame has taken too long to generate.

1 Like

@neal_white_iii: yes, I suppose it is what you are describing - which would mean it is a matter of tuning my settings down a bit so it wonā€™t be overwhelmed when hyper jumping. Okay, Iā€™ll give it a try tomorrow !

1 Like

Lowering your graphics settings probably wonā€™t help that much. ED is using the hyperspace tunnel as a ā€œloading screenā€. The delays have little to do with your graphics setting and are mostly due to internet latency and hard-drive/SSD delays (loading local assets).

My system (an ocā€™ed i7 8770K (6 cores), 16 GB of DDR4 3600 ocā€™ed RAM, ocā€™ed RTX 2080, ocā€™ed ASUS gamer motherboard, a 1 TB top-end NVMe system SSD (where ED is stored), another 3 TB of SSD, and 7 TB of hard drive (backup) storage on a high-speed business-grade internet connection which gets up to 240+ fps (in ED in typical space flight) on my 4K 2D monitor) STILL sometimes drops to ~30 fps in the hyperspace tunnel or ~40 fps dropping out of super-cruise near a station.

My advice is to try to ignore it.