5K+ review for DCS

Quick update on performance. Tried beta Pitool with beta brainwarp in DCS on Pimax 5K+. And I can tell, they are definitely getting there! When it active, world seems almost as smooth as it was with Oculus Rift. Unfortunately, it is not always ON on very demanding scenes (such as a low level flight over a city on F-18C in Caucasus map), probably because fps is not sufficient for it to work. Or maybe it is just a bug of current implementation. Lowering HMD refresh rate helps, on lower refresh rate BW is ON most of the time, even on very demanding scenery and plane (F-18C, low level flight over city) and world is almost perfectly smooth. So, just a little more, and we will be there. Was testing with pretty much everything maxed out. Only MSAA and SSAA were off, and terrain objects shadows were flat. Pimax FOV was set to normal (very easy to check your six!). My PC specs can be found here:

6 Likes

It only works for fps>= 1/2 refresh rate. For example, if your refresh rate is 90Hz the minimum fps that will work with ASW is 45fps (72Hz->36fps, 60Hz->30fps).

This is because it is actually guessing what every other frame will be by taking the previous frame and shifting it a little bit (based on movement sensors in the headset). If you take a guess based off a previous guess (aka fps < 1/2 refresh), then the results start to look really bad. That is why there is a lower limit on fps.

5 Likes

Yes, you are probably right. But they can implement some kind of dynamic BW (e.g. doubling current fps, not set it fixed to refresh rate). Also, I have my hopes high for promised upcoming VR optimization in DCS. We shall see what future holds for us.

2 Likes

The problem with that is you would need a dynamic refresh rate and that is currently not the case. We currently have 90/72/64(?) Hz options in PiTool (aka non-continuous) and I’m not sure about whether it can be adjusted dynamically or if it requires application/PiTool restarts.

1 Like