5k+ Just Arrived. It looks good, but I have an issue with my glasses

When I got home today, I was rather surprised to find a package sitting at my door. I was even more surprised to discover it was my Pimax, since I hadn’t received any warning or tracking number. Still, I’m more than happy to have it and the timing is a little apropos.

I haven’t gotten a chance to try it yet, since I haven’t gotten around to upgrading my graphics card, though I am tempted to see how badly it destroys my 970. Opening the box was a pleasant experience with everything nicely packed and padded, but still easy to access. I saw one forum comment mention loose parts, but that doesn’t seem to be an issue here.

The only disappointment came when I actually held it up to my face. During the NYC backer meetup I noticed that the lenses pressed into the sides of my glasses, making it very uncomfortable to wear both the headset and my glasses at the same time. I mentioned this to the staff (I’m sorry, I’m terrible with names) and they took note of it. I was hoping they would have done something about it, but I can hear the frames of my glasses tapping against the lenses before the pad even makes contact with my skin.

This is a problem. It might be less of an issue if the headset shipped with a much thicker pad or those prescription lens inserts we’re supposed to get, but as it stands I can’t really wear the thing and get a clear picture.

2 Likes

@anon74848233 We have heard that you will make the thicker pad for a long time, when you will make it?

Or can you discuss the size with vr-cover to make the new pad for your headse or do you will add function to move in and move out in DAS?

thanks.

2 Likes

if your glasses are for seeing far away you can use the headset without them with no loss of vision

1 Like

They are, but I found things looked blurrier without them at the nyc meetup.

1 Like

it would only look blurry if your normal close up vision is bad, thats probably bad ipd or not centered on your face

1 Like

That’s possible. It’s not like everything was perfectly set-up for me at the meetup, particularly since I don’t actually know my ipd.

1 Like

Backer number?..

You need to be realistic and further more, take things into your own hands to solve this.

Buy some 1 a day contact lenses and forget the glasses, you will probably only end up scratching the lenses on the Pimax any way.

Buy some thicker padding, if not available, lots of diy mods you can do.

Considered laser surgery?.. well worth the investment… “since I hda it dome my eyrs have bern perfect anf been lief chagign:)”

4 Likes

I’m backer #412. So how does that square with things? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sorry, what? No. Being realistic is expecting the several hundred dollar piece of equipment I bought to work with the fairly basic use case their own FAQ claims it should work with, particularly when it was a problem they already knew about.

Suggesting surgery, of any sort, in response to a product not being design correctly is absolutely absurd. I would have stronger words for your entire post, but proper decorum dictates you figure them out yourself.

5 Likes

How about a personality transplant then?

4 Likes

It will take time young Jedi. Soon you will learn the ways of ignoring the trolls.

3 Likes

if your glasses are for seeing far away you can use the headset without them with no loss of vision

That is wrong. Should be the same for the Pimax as for all other VR-HMDs. I can`t use my Rift without glasses. And my glasses are for distant vision. Without glasses the picture gets blurry.

I will try to use the thicker pad for the Pimax, that I use for the Rift. Maybe I can fix it to the Pimax somehow.

5 Likes

That’s crap and completely wrong.

1. It’s clearly a HMD design flaw if it’s not adjustable for glasses even the first Vive had this.
  2. To answer this with DIY is only for DIY HMDs and the Pimax is not in this category.
  3. Surgery are you kidding?
3 Likes

Well…yes…I think you and Jester just dont have the same sense of humor.

@ EpsilonRose
As you can see in some reaction vids, some people dont have problems with there glasses while others do. So trying out diffrent glasses or contact lenses would not be bad idea at all.

Oh and I envy you :wink:

2 Likes

HMDs are not a book so they have to be designed for distant vision, the lens design has to ensure that the eyes are focused to infinity to make sure that the view is perpendicular to the lenses.
So if someone needs glasses for distant vision they have to use the glasses with the HMD, if someone needs only glasses for near vision then they are not needed.

5 Likes

3000 ish backer and waiting :cry:

Eye laser surgery isn’t actually a bad idea, I got rid of the glasses that way and I recommend.

3 Likes

I had a pair of zenni glasses made for about 25 dollars, especially for VR headsets.

Borderless, anti-reflective, close to the eyes and angled.

3 Likes

Any chance that you have any of the Vive pads from VR Cover? I’m hoping that I’ve heard correctly in that we can use the thicker pads that I got for my Vive on the Pimax.

1 Like