5K+ black dots observations

I tried to pin down and understand the appearance of the the black dots on the 5K panels better and made some ttl shots. Unfortunately i don’t have a macro lens and it is a very annoying endeavour to capture the real experience, but you already know that.
I made some clean colour backgrounds in photoshop with red, green and blue and with yellow, magenta, cyan and white to see what it does.
Its pretty clear that only on red and blue the black dots appear. so with magenta they seem to be at their full strength. And so in every colour, that has red or blue in the mix. The more red or blue = the stronger the dots. Green doesn’t appear to cause them at all.
Needless to say, that they are very subtle in the SDE grid and someone would find them annoying, whereas another won’t see them at all.

7 Likes

Did you have had a tryinged of the Tech21 ANTI SDE to fix SDE/MURA?

1 Like

nope, its the naked headset, shot with sigma A 50mm on 5d3

1 Like

Please tryinged this Tech 21 ANTI-SDE and post result??

1 Like

in your shots i cant really spot them in a way that are shown here
https://community.openmr.ai/t/dots-on-the-5k-screen/8730/44
and in swevivers video @41:50

And once again I’d really like to see it tested, with the relevant primary boosted, in affected pixels.

Is it possible for pimax to remove these black dots? Or make them harder to see

What happens to the dots if you use polarized glasses? (got to angle them around, at some point the picture will cancel completely, but the question if a little bit can be applied to filter them out more).

Thing is that there is something physical going on: In a regular pattern, something is taking a bite out of the right edge of blue subpixels, and the left edge of the next red one, like in this sketch:
5kplusrgb

The smaller area of these affected subpixels means their total light output is reduced.

Now, theoretically one should be able to balance this, by increasing the brightness of the smaller subpixels, to produce the same amount of light as their larger neighbours. The opposite of this is actually done with OLED panels, where blue subpixels (which burns out quicker than those of the other primary colours), are made larger, so that their life expectancy can be prolonged, by running them at lower power.

One would have expected the screen manifacturer would have considered this… Maybe they have, and dismissed the issue, but I’d still like to see the experiment performed. :7

the official statement is this:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/about-60-70-performance-improved-on-rtx2080ti/9072/12

1 Like

Yeah this old shoe makes no sense to me at all. how can somehow darkened subpixels enhance colour contrast? And since red and blue subpixels are affected, its the other way around. It appears in each colour scenario except this one: R:0 G:255 B:0 So it isn’t happening in 1% of colour scenarios. But in 99% it’s not necessarily seeable, or annoying, but it’s there.
I have no clue why the red and blue subpixels operate in this “someone-took-a-bite-outta-them”-way, like @jojon depicted. But it would be interesting if someone could shed some insight.

1 Like

Today we were working with 5K+ and staring to this dots… and my colleague has a theory. This dots are part of a “touch” system, because it is possible that the panel was designed for a mobile. It can be a layer of touch sensors.

I suppose that it need a lot of time to get rid of this layer, and prefer to maintain, expecting that people don’t see it. But if you stare at it… this dots are in different depth than SDE (pixels). Is like there are over the layer of the LCD.

3 Likes

I have another theory. This dots are only in red subpixels. I don’t know why… but i’m Thinking that the reason why 5K+ looks bluish is because somebody (manufacturers or Pimax) reduce the red color, only to reduce the effects of this dots.

If pimax give us the option of change colors, and one user increment the red color, to have more temp in the screen, a less cool colors… then the dots will be more prominent, and a problem for Pimax.

5 Likes

But in the picture you attached both red and blue subpixels are affected.

1 Like

Thanks for your insight. Interesting theory with the touch layer. For the latter, i am pretty sure that the blue subpixels are also affected. R:0 G:0 B:255 shows dots very clearly

1 Like

Yes. True. My fault hehe

1 Like

and in R:255 G:0 B:255 (Magenta) i perceive them the strongest.