5/8k NON - Fresnell lenses

Great find! I think pimax won’t be likely to divulge their lens geometry. Lol

This is such a hard piece of cake… I mean,

1. Buy pimax, great FOV - no clarity
  2. Buy other, Small FOV - Great clarity

I loved P4K because it had normal non-fresnell lens. If only Pimax would go the same path with the 5/8k :confused:

Sigh.

Are there are pimax 5/8 owners near portsmouth UK or Gaydon central ?

if you buy a XTAL you might have both
but you should sit down and grab the table tightly before looking up the price

1 Like

Haha. The pimax forum: where lenses are impossible and if they were possible would cost too much. Despite people probably having a dozen lenses on their person, none of which were considered either impossible or expensive when acquired. Despite cheaper hmds having them.

Someone just needs to pop lenses out and take the measurements on their own

That’s a tiny bit exaggerated… :grin:

The clarity and lack of god rays is the exact reason why my main HMD is my vive pro with the gear vr lens mod. Personally, the clarity of the vision ( no fresnel rings ) along with the depth of colours, in no short part to lack of god rays, makes the whole experience far better for me. Yes I agree the FOV of the Pimax is better and maybe SDE is slightly smaller, but clarity is far, far superior. I find I am constantly ‘adjusting’ the pimax trying to get clarity, whereas the vive is a set and forget. Pimax has DAS and extra face cushion but just isn’t as clear… oh and had edge distortion as well… where as the vive pro has none.

IF Pimax had non-fresnel lenses and a better distortion profile ( adjustable ) I believe that a lot of the issues with eye strain, distortion and cracks would be reduced… Cracks are increased due to users constantly adjusting and pressing on the casing, along with a poor choice of plastics in obvious stress areas. Eye strain would be reduced dramatically due to a much larger sweet spot due to no fresnel rings and the distortion profile would be easier to calculate based on IPD adjustments.

Personal opinion obviously…

2 Likes

Should read more carefully many people said possible but with limited FOV, I would never return to 110 degree FOV even for clarity I prefer to stop VR experience instead. Personal opinion of course…

I also have a vive pro with the gear lens mod and a pimax 5k+
I use both about 50/50 each , thevive pro gear lens is so much clearer and brighter but pimax has large fov for panoramic stuff

I think the pimax is slightly better than the plain vive pro (with original fresnel lens) though

ps if you get a bit of eye strain from the gear lens mod put an extra strip of double sided tape under the outerside of lens holder ( og vive lens and vive pro lens are slightly different thickness the pro lens are slightly thinner along the edge towards the nose ) , I suspect the pro has slightly larger panels than the og vive and this centers the lens focal point better , also you can independently adjust the ipd a bit .

2 Likes

Agree completely, the Original Vive pro lenses are absolutely horrible !!! The gear lens mod is essential in the Vive Pro…

Never had any eye strain in the pro. My Pimax has quite a bit of edge distortion which negates the extra FOV unfortunately… If the blacks were better and the distortion gone I may use it more…

1 Like

Oh I read carefully. I dispute that lens technology prohibits fov.
People should really google what has been done with lenses. People should go and consciously try some lenses and blow out at what a good job is done for very little money.
People say pimax spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on lenses. I say pimax wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on projects that got binned when they should’ve gone to lens people and admit they’re toy people. This money wasn’t spent on lenses it was wasted trying to do what they didn’t know how to do. It all went in the bin.

3 Likes