4K owners: Will you choose 8K or 5K+?

This is to discuss with other Pimax 4K owners.

We own a great headset in terms of SDE.
Now that we get the option to switch from 8K to 5K+ I am stuck at deciding wether I am willing to take steps back in SDE.

As it seems now, the 8K isn’t using the full 4K panel, meaning the SDE will be worse than our Pimax 4K.
The 5K wasn’t doing that either so they put in smaller panels. Effectively increasing the ppi because of the lenses.

We also learned that the 8K upscaling reduces a bit of the clarity, so in a sense, the 5K+ is better. And I would have easily switched because of this. Were it not for me being very happy with my current PPI in my Pimax 4K headset.

What are your considerations?

2 Likes

Not sure I follow why the 8K would have worse SDE than the 4K? 4K is just 1 panel isn’t it? so if the full 8K panel isn’t being used it surely would need to be 50% or worse utilisation to make SDE worse than the 4K? (granted I’m ignoring other variables here just focusing on the utilisation aspect of your comment)

2 Likes

OK I’ve thought it through a bit more…lol, I see where I’ve gone wrong :wink:

I see what you mean and wonder what the utilisation differences is.

1 Like

bar literally trying on the headsets i just have to go by sweviver etc. 16th cant come soon enough

1 Like

Indeed but I was hoping to hear from 4K owners who tried both 8K and 5K+ in Berlin.
SweVR has never tried a Pimax 4K headset, so he’ll just be very content with anything better than a Rift or Vive Pro. Which means I cannot take any of the testers reviews of SDE to heart

1 Like

Use the latest feedback from the Berlin meet up for a more accurate comparison between 5k+ and 8k. There were people in the earlier videos using an 5k which they mistook for an 8k. Hence the “I heard from people using both 8k units that one was better than the other” feedback.

2 Likes

This is not why I started this topic. Do you own a Pimax 4K?

1 Like

That’s not correct, it was said in the channel what actually happened and they also don’t compare with the 4k.

1 Like

I have the 4k and I have the same doubts as you.

2 Likes

Personally I think I’m going to choose the 5K+ for multiple reasons:

• Better possible max framerate/screen refresh compared to the 8K, and probably more responsive because the absence of a scaler chip that could add some latencies.
  • Probably smoother experience with present and future VR titles, until really newer tech gets added to the GPU chips, and most engines, drivers and titles get optimized for the new rendering modes, and, since I’m going to keep my overclocked 1080 (or maybe swap it with an used 1080Ti now that the prices in the used market are going down fast) and save money for the next gen Gpu…it’s probably the wisest choice to go for the 5K+
  • Even if SDE is a little worse than the 8K, it’s the most balanced solution that really seem important to me, and considering that I’m used to the very low SDE of Lenovo Explorer, I’m sure the SDE will be nothing to bother about at all on the Pimax 5K+
  • Still hoping though that Pimax will offer an Oled version of the 5K anytime in the near future, because I absolutely prefer the deep blacks these panels offer, and with games like Elite Dangerous and other dark colored titles it is really an important factor.
5 Likes

I own a 4K but for me the ghosting is an issue as is having to wear reading glasses to get the center to focus correctly, the brightness is also low. So if the SDE and colour is of the same quality without those other issues then 5K or 8K would be better. Sadly I have not tried 8K or 5K to compare though. Not many people have the 4K to compare so I think you will have to wait.

2 Likes

To make a correct and reliable comparison between Pimax 5K+, 8K and Pimax 4K, you need two identical PCs (ideally three identical PCs), put the same image (game or movie) and switch headsets in a fraction of a second.

This is because our visual memory is really deficient and accommodative.

I (Neoskynet), @Cdaked and @Guancho made the comparison of M1 8K and Pimax 4K in this way and came up with interesting conclusions. We can’t explain any more details because we’re under NDA.

But unfortunately we don’t have the M2 5K+ and 8K to compare. We hope to receive them and be able to make this comparison.

However I think it is important to wait for the testers’ conclusions on the M2 5K+ and 8K because of the confusion of labels indicating the 5K+ or 8K model, and now we don’t know who was testing what, and the opinions are very confused by this fact.

Cheers,
Neo

8 Likes

There was no confusion of labels!

Pimax 4K owners, you have a Pimax 4K owner testing Elite Dangerous:
Do you see him excited in minute 1?

1 Like

Do you have experience with the Pimax 4K?

I think it has been said that one of the units moved to a different location to run some tests and created some confusion. I don’t know if the matter has been cleared up yet.

I’m a 4K owner… I tried V2 of the 8K and I didn’t feel the SDE was worse than the 4K. In fact, to me… the resolution and SDE felt the same as the 4K… minus the ghosting issue we have on the 4K. Oh, and the 8K was not as dark as the 4K.

1 Like

Yes in one of the sweviver vids, but the guy that originally stated this cleared it up in the forum a couple of times that this wasn’t the case. Unfortunately people are running with what was said in the vid.

2 Likes

I tried it in Amsterdam too but that was arguably not comparable to the choices we have today. That’s why I am in a bit of a panic mode now. I have no reference and we lack 4K owners who have tested the new headsets. SweVR doesn’t know the 4K so his recommondations don’t reference my experience with the 4K.

1 Like

Do you know one of those links or the nickname?
Thanks!

1 Like