3D printed plastic facial interface mod

Person on reddit posted a link to a facial interface mod they made that can be 3D printed (more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/b12vcw/pimax_5k8k_facial_interface_for_narrow_faces)

I finally got the 3D printed one piece facial interface mod today. Just tried it out and so far it works great. Really helps with this weird discomfort I was getting with the image on the hmd. It’s about 90% perfect now (still a little blurry in one eye, which makes sense since my left eye monocular ipd is 2mm over compared to my right eye)

The only issues are : I can now see the outside world because there is space by my nose. Can see the side distortions way better (but don’t notice them after 5 mins) and probably lost about 10% of fov (I use normal)

Here’s some pics

11 Likes

This was added to @Davebobman’s table of content wiki. But looks good for narrow faces. Elves are already reporting on it. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

That is very awesome :beers:

3 Likes

Hmm I definitely do not have a narrow face, but it works anyways.

This goes to show that pimax really should have shipped 3 face foams with each hmd. BTW I wear glasses and they still work with this mod (and the face foam I got with the pimax)

1 Like

Or designed the mask to allow dialing distance to lens.

3 Likes

This would be the best bet I think. Works great on the vive

2 Likes

With the mask being removable makes this kind of mod possible. Have some other ideas on how to implement as well.

2 Likes

Nice. I have the problem where I need to space the HMD just a few mm away from my face to get the IPD to my liking or else I get eye strain. I was wondering if you would mind printing and selling me one as I have no printer. PM me or let me know. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have ears for this nice mod too. :wink:

1 Like

There is a link to thing verse in the Reddit post. You can have them print it.

1 Like

O ok I see, which company should I choose to print, there are three to choose from, any one you recommend?

1 Like

I’ve only used print a thing. Make sure you read the description on thingverse it tells use what settings you need. Also I only printed the full face mod not the 2 separate pieces

2 Likes

Awesome… thanks for the info. I ordered the entire set… came to $42.80

1 Like

You don’t need the entire set. You either need the full one, or the one that is 2 pieces (they made it 2 pieces for people who have 3D printers that can not do the full one)

2 Likes

But it looks as if you don’t need to use the full set either. There are pieces for the top, bottom and sides… and for me I could add options…for example, some people like myself with low IPD need to angle the bottom of the HMD up a little. I could then just use the single bottom piece. In any case, I own more than one Pimax so it gives me either two sets or multiple pieces to experiment with.

2 Likes

ah that sounds like good idea

1 Like