12k Upgrade Program - What about those of us that JUST got an 8Kx before this program?

Curious if Pimax will be extending this offer to those of us who purchased our 8Kx RIGHT before they announced the 12k and the offer to put the cost of an 8Kx towards the cost of a new 12k when it arrives?
I would like to keep on their cutting edge and get the 12k when it drops, so I am hoping,(especially since I bought directly from Pimax) that they plan to include people like me in the program as well!)

2 Likes

As far as I understand it’s any customer that owns an 8KX and can show the receipt for it.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-trade-in-program-for-12k-hows-going-to-work/37333/10?u=drwilken

EDIT: Just to clarify, it’s not just for 8KX owners but also owners of other headset models. Check Pimax.com.

EDIT2: Official post: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-12k-oled-trade-in-program/37748

12 Likes

It sounds like it is for all pimax owners, it would be very disappointing if they weren’t to look after the people who supported them at the beginning when from what I saw there was a lot of doubt and which without them would not be. To turn around and give better deals to new people would be a kick in the n&$s. I personally think it’s just to get more VR people on the pimax team going forward with future headsets we will all want to be upgrading to. I’ll be calling it the end of the road if they don’t

2 Likes

What if you’re female? :rofl:

1 Like

@DrWiliken @Iamkiwi Thanks gents and/or ladies! I appreciate the info. Right now im using my 8Kx on a direct die cooled i9-10900k at 5.2 all core, 4.8 bus and a completely modded and watercooled 3090 at 2.1+GHz average when heatsoaked, and up 10.2GHz VRAM - and even in a game like iRacing thats been updated a LOT over the years it still requires a few sacrifices (like HDR lighting and one or two other more resource heavy tech) to run at 90Hz without SPS in Native and keep it pinned at 90. iRacing started in 2006 lol, but it does have some of the best VR support and Performance of any sim-game ive ever tried, hands down.

I am VERY curious what kind of monster id need to concoct to truly get the most out of this new 12k lol. I am assuming its going to require the 4090 and best cpu you can get to make this thing truly worthwhile, especially for the cost.

I am VERY MUCH pulling for them though! They’ve been an amazing company to work with, every time!

3 Likes

As far as I understand the enabler here is Foveated Transport and Dynamic Foveated Rendering in general… :slight_smile:

Foveated transport

Optimize graphics transfer using data compression based on user focus

1 Like

I think Sweviver said that a 3090 will power it even a 3080 will if limited a bit.

1 Like

Niceeeeee! I am actually really excited to see how this HMD turns out. What would be amazing is if that tech not only allowed for that higher resolution but did it more efficiently, so I can enable some of the bells/whistles I need to disable in iRacing to keep it locked at 4k, 90hz native, like HDR lighting (which in this case isn’t really HDR as we know it today, but just an improved lighting pass and filter, if im not mistaken.)

I am REALLY glad to see that Pimax (as I highly recommended to them) is really working to integrate with iRacing, even going to so far as to sponsor a branded racing series this season.

@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra PROPS ON THAT PIMAX! :smiley: AND THANKS FOR SUPPORTING OUR iRacing COMMUNITY! :smiley: <3

3 Likes

Official post:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-12k-oled-trade-in-program/37748

1 Like

@PimaxQuorra

what about ppl who ordered the 8kx with dmas ? Those weren’t pre-installed coz it was 1 year late after 8kx delivery. If the dmas not included in the trade in value what are we suppose to do with the dmas?

2 Likes

That’ll be dumb if they don’t considered the DMAS as pre-installed. It’s not our fault that they keep delaying it.

2 Likes

Same boat as you. Preordered/received the 8KX last year, but got my DMAS just a few months ago. I haven’t opened/installed it yet because I’ve been using my own audio solution the past year. So would be great if the trade-in value will include my unused DMAS.

Also, I suppose since they will not ship the 12K until they receive my 8KX, that means I’ll be without a VR headset for a few weeks. I may have to buy a Quest 2 to hold me over! Lol.

3 Likes

About that official post, gonna be alot of peeps happy that their pimax bought used from ebay gets them the discount. I’m relieved too (although i was expecting it) that my 8kx bought from amazon qualifies. Good that we don’t have to ship to china. I hope we see a functioning 12k at CES.

1 Like

I’m honestly not thrilled about the idea that Pimax collects perfectly working HMDs to (most likely) destroy them. They should come up with another proof of ownership imho.

1 Like

personally i doubt they’ll destroy headsets that are in good working condition, they’ll be worth x amount of money, what makes you think this will most likely happen?

If they would sell them second hand that would be perfect. Usually that’s not what happens though (if smartphone companies or Apple etc. are any reference, those just want to thin out the used market so people buy the new models instead). But perhaps Pimax will handle that differently?

1 Like

I didn’t realize other companies such as Apple had such policies.
If Pimax were to destroy them then yes this wouldn’t be good.

At least I haven’t seen any way to buy second hand from Apple or any smartphone companies. My assumption was that they might recycle a few parts from the collected trade-in devices and throw the rest away. But I don’t know for sure. Perhaps Apple&Co donate them? If that were the case they would advertize with that fact though…
Perhaps Pimax could shed some light on what they plan to do with the the collected headsets?

1 Like

@PimaxQuorra or @PimaxUSA
the traded in headsets, do they have to be working/in good condition etc?

Yes they must be functional and good condition.